Swishing some coconut oil around your mouth for 10-20mins to kill nasty bacteria? Really? Oh yes indeed and it’s something that I religiously do every morning after scraping the gunk off my tongue with the back of a spoon… more on that later.
It involves swishing oil all around your mouth to kill bacteria which has built up during the night and encourages overall oral hygiene improving the health of your teeth and gums. It literally sucks the toxins out of your mouth and creates a clean, antiseptic oral environmentally friendly to prevent cavities and disease.
Oil pulling is an ancient ritual and used primarily in India’s Ayurvedic medicine, also known as gandusha. They believe that it can purify the entire system as each section of the tongue is connected to different organs such as to the kidneys, lungs, liver, heart, small intestines, stomach, colon, and spine, similarly to reflexology.
Introducing Essential oils into your routine for some extra punch!
Put a smaller container with organic coconut oil into your bathroom – easy access, no excuses
Put a large spoon ( I use a dessert spoon) into your toothbrush cup – again, easy access, no excuses
In the morning you wake up, go to the toilet. I then rinse my mouth to moisture things a little.
Take your spoon and scrape your tongue. You will be surprised at what comes off. Make sure to go from back to front & also down the sides. Clean spoon and rinse your mouth.
Using the same spoon get a generous spoonful of coconut oil out of the tub/jar. At this point you can add a few drops of your favourite essential oil ( see suggestions below)
Place this in your mouth. Be patient. It is a strange sensation as often the oil is hard and needs to be broken down by the warmth of your mouth. Move it slowly around your mouth and it will become liquid. The rule is to use an amount that you can tolerate and increase as you go.
Have a shower, do what you need to. Anything but talking! Swish the oil in your mouth as you would a mouthwash for at least 20 minutes as is the required amount to penetrate bacterias
When finished make sure you dont dispose of the oil down the sink as it will block the drains when it hardens. Dispose of in the garbage bin or compost
Thoroughly rinse your mouth using warm water
Clean your teeth with eco toothbrush to ensure all bacteria are gone
Enjoy the freshness!
- For everyday use: Add 3 drops of wild orange, lemon and peppermint with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- When battling an infection or sickness: Change it up a bit and mix clove oil, cinnamon oil or tea tree oil as a homeopathic remedy.
Coconut Oil Pulling with Young Living Essential Oils Suggestions:
- Peppermint: Peppermint is good for giving you an energy boost both mental and physical, give you lovely fresh breath, and helps maintain a healthy digestive system.
- Orange: Orange is very uplifting and tastes amazing.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit is fresh, invigorating and tasty.
- Lemon: Lemon is good for so many things including cleansing, detoxing, uplifting, supporting a healthy immune system and easing everyday stresses.
- Oregano: Oregano is traditionally used to help cleanse the mouth so it’s a good oil to be used with oil pulling.
- Rosemary: Rosemary supports a healthy lifestyle regimen and smells and tastes wonderful.